<

Friday, June 30, 2006

Our local supermarket

For July 1, many of the Daily Photo bloggers are posting pictures of their town's supermarket or grocery store today. Click on a number to jump to the next one.
1 -2 -3 -4 -5 -6 -7 -8 -9 -10 -11 -12 -13 -14 -15 -16 -17 -18 -19 -20 -21 -22 -23 -24 -25 -

I'm posting mine a few hours early as I don't think I'll have the chance tomorrow!

I chose this one because it symbolizes so much of what I like about our one grocery store, Trotta's. When I moved here 8 years ago, I didn't know anyone. After my daughter was born I felt very lonely and isolated, and I took her to the grocery store nearly every day, just to have someone to talk to. Still, nobody knew my name, but they knew this adorable baby, and I was known as her mother. We'd always go see the "lobbers" -- it's one of the first words she could say. When I walked around the store taking pictures, the lobster man offered to take this fellow out of the tank for me to get a better shot (but asked me not to include him.) Then, seeing I had my (other) daughter with me, he showed us where the secret stash of cookies was and gave her one. Finally, when he saw me choose a package of salmon for dinner, he immediately went into the back room and brought me a fresher one. That friendliness completely sums up my town.

9 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Nichols said...

Wow! Great picture and it sounds like a great store.

12:15 AM  
Blogger Edwin Sumun said...

wonderful shot! The lobber looks like it's about to fish another lobber!

12:59 AM  
Blogger Steve Cuddihy said...

great photo and I love the story behind the photo. Thanks!

1:38 AM  
Blogger Ham said...

Great shot and story - that's a different side to the US than tourists find!

5:50 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

That is a great story. I don't see a lot of live lobster tanks at grocery stores around here. My grocery store has a sushi bar, but no live lobsters.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Denton said...

Sharon, great photo and story.

Sarah, we also have sushi bars appearing in our grocery stores.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Jazzy said...

I like your story.
The lobster looks like he's going to shake your hand.
Regards

4:44 PM  
Blogger Kala said...

that was such a great story - the best post of the day - I don't know how people can move - I can only imagine it must be difficult to do - friends left behind - I havent moved to anywhere significant except to another part of the island haha

I'm glad your town is so kind and welcoming. The pictures and story was a great combination

7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Service is what wins all the time, here and in other parts of the world.

2:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home