<

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Twin Oaks


The most famous spot in Sharon, arguably, is the Twin Oaks Field. It was the subject of much controversy a few years ago when the owner made plans to develop it with houses - the town land conservancy quickly raised enough money to buy it and protect it forever.

I drive past it daily, and have photographed it many times, but have only posted one photo - from the main road the trees are too far away, and the photos end up grainy, hazy, and completly unsatisfactory. So today I decided to find the field and see the trees up close and personal. I drove around the back roads for a while, glimpsing the field from time to time, when suddenly I turned and there it was, with a convenient path mowed up the hill. I climbed up (about a five minute walk) and took some pictures, but the light was wrong - it was mid-day. I went back in the evening, but perhaps a bit too late -the sun had set behind the hill. I got a few nice silhouettes of the two trees - perhaps I'll go back again, at dawn, to see what they look like then!

13 Comments:

Blogger Passante said...

What a superb silhouette. Congratulations. This is an image to be super proud of -- everything in it works.

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think you have to go back to take another photo...this one is fantastic! Agree with Passante...it's beautiful!

2:29 AM  
Blogger Kala said...

I'm glad they bought the property to prevent yet another development on a precious piece of land

2:58 AM  
Blogger Jazzy said...

What a grand tree. Beautiful photo.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

i agree with all!
but i do look forward to another one taken at dawn ;)

7:54 AM  
Blogger alice said...

You give me ideas cos i know several beautiful trees around my home. The question is: am i able to get such a beautiful photo?

10:37 AM  
Blogger edwin s said...

absolutely beautiful! this is my favourite shot of yours this whole week! I wouldn't mind you going back for another shot at another time of day with different light ;)

12:49 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

You've really outdone yourself with this one! Completely perfect image. It so strikingly reminds me of Jan Pienkowski's amazing illustration style in his children's books, "Christmas" and "Easter," that I want to recommend them to you if you aren't already aware of them. I love silhouettes and shadow puppets and the like. A wonderful effect for your photo.
-Kim

12:52 PM  
Blogger Felicia said...

This is gorgeous! It is so nice to have old trees around, oak are especially nice. I think this photo in B&W might be interesting too.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Stunning!

2:20 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I love this shot! Really shows nature in its true beauty. The best part is you took the trouble to take the photo in such a perfect light.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Lisi said...

great tree shot!

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful shot! :-)

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home