<

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

A Day to Vote


It was Primary Day here in Connecticut. I always get a little giddy on election day - I feel a sort of misty-eyed sentimental optimism whenever I have the chance to vote. I've never missed an election in the 23 years since I first registered. This time, the Connecticut senatorial election became big national news - long-time Senator Joe Lieberman, famous among other things for running as Al Gore's vice presidential candidate in 2000, came under attack for his unswerving support of the war in Iraq. For many of us, it was our first real opportunity to stand up and be counted on this issue that has been so divisive in our country. I was pleased and proud to make my statement.

If you're not familiar with the American voting system, here's how we do it, at least here in Sharon.

P.S. later tonight, walking home from a show (about which I'll post tomorrow) I ran into the first selectman* - he'd been busy tallying votes after the polls closed. He said the challenger, Ned Lamont, beat Lieberman by more than 2:1 here in town, with extremely high turnout. We'll find out soon what happened statewide!

*Small town mayor - he's also recently retired as pediatrician to my children and most others in town; he's also an accomplished singer and pianist - he first recruited me to join the Light Opera Company of Salisbury, and I've heard he'll come to your party in a dress and play show tunes, if it's for a good cause!

5 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I'm watching the results as I speak. Thanks for the eloquent remarks!

11:25 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Wow! Seeing this makes me realize the fall elections will be quickly upon us in the US. I'm very grateful to everyone who exercises their right to vote.
-Kim

12:18 AM  
Blogger Icarus said...

I'm already waitng too for the results, thanks to you! No wonky chads, now!! Wow, Jenny you are so good at these photo-reportages [see inset link, folks!]. I think they're my favourite parts when you expand out the theme, like the crafts fair the other day.
And a cutie of a self-port!!
.....I'm wondering, if the UK had such a primary system, how a straight anti-Iraq candidate would fare against Bambi, errr sorry, Blair now...............Don't forget, the majority were firmly against it until the shooting started, when they rallied out of loyalty to "Our Boys". But that was then.

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenny,

What an interesting post. It's information like this that makes DP for me every bit as much as the photographs. In fact, I have stopped looking at the DP blogs that simply post a photo with no commentary.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Juggerpix said...

Wow, you guys ousted Lieberman, I'm impressed! I think this bodes well for the presidential aspirations of one of my senators, Russ Feingold.

Although Lieberman saying right away that he will run as an independent seems mean spirited.

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home