<

Monday, October 23, 2006

Cornfields


Not all the fields have been cut down yet. Some will be cut into corn mazes - it's another way for farmers to generate a little income and give families and children something to do.

So... the World Series is underway (for you non-US-based readers of my blog, that's baseball). I grew up in Detroit, and for most of my childhood our team, the Tigers, weren't very good, rarely in contention. I didn't much care, though I (I was an Artist!), and I dropped out of Algebra II without finishing the class. (I wonder now that I was allowed to do it!) That summer, I realized I'd made a mistake and wanted to continue, so I had to catch up by myself so I could rejoin the rest of my class. Every night, I'd sit out on the screen porch with my dad, working on my algebra and listening to the Tigers on the radio, (the legendary Ernie Harwell at the microphone) my dad keeping me company and giving me moral support. (I don't think he was much help with the math.) I completed the whole semester during the month of August, doing a few days' worth each night. (A game lasts about 2 1/2 hours-you can do a lot of math in that amount of time!)

I think maybe it was the last summer before my parents split up, so the last time he was in that house. So, I associate the Tigers with family, hard work, taking responsibility, and of course, spending time with my dad, who for my entire childhood had told me about the time the Tigers had won the World Series, back in 1967.

They did make it to the World Series once after that, in 1984, when I was in college. They won - beating, I think, the White Sox - I remember because a friend was from Chicago and rooting for the even more hapless Sox. My dad sent me a poster of Kirk Gibson making the famous series-winning home run, but it wasn't "cool" so I didn't put it up in my dorm room! Sorry, Dad! Send me another one this time when they win and I promise I'll put it up in my office!

11 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

Answering the questions you asked in my post; I grew up in Troy (went to Athens High). Attended Oakland University, got married in 84, and moved to Colorado Springs in 1985. Some place among all the things I have in storage in Delta is the front page of the Detroit Free Press the day after the Tigers took the 84 series. It has Kirk Gibson jumping in the air with his hands raised. Could be the same picture as your poster. Seems like it may be worth $12 on eBay these days. I wonder how much is has cost me to haul around :)

I have looked high & low for a copy of the Queen parody. So far, no luck.

Get with it Tigers!

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm watching the Tigers right now, bottom of the 3rd, 2-0 Tigers. Thanks for the rehash of memories, very similar to my own, though I remember the 1968 world series when we won. Used to watch with my dad. Ggggrrrooowwwl!

9:16 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Nice story, Jenny. Good luck with your team!

9:58 PM  
Blogger Denton said...

That was a wonderful story with your post. An yes you are an artist.

10:51 PM  
Blogger alice said...

I like your photos and i like your words. Sorry for not speaking English well enough to go further...

1:48 AM  
Blogger Lachezar said...

Beautiful photograph!
I've been enjoying your autumn colours so much that I now worry that autumn will soon end...

Hart warming story too, I've watched Baseball only in movies, but your passion is contagious

Best wishes

2:56 AM  
Blogger Olivier said...

superbes champs de maïs. j'adore le maïs a croquer. En france aussi, beaucoup de champs deviennent des labyrinthes, c'est tres a la mode.

Les tigers ont bien commencés les World Series.

Merci pour ton histoire, moi c'etait les matchs de football de st-etienne que j'ecoutais à la radio.

superb corn fields. I adore corn has to crunch. In France also, much of fields become labyrinths, it is very with the mode.

The tigers began World Series well. thank you for your history, me they was the matches of football of St-Etienne whom I listened to with the radio.

3:57 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

you know what, Jenny? we pass some cornfield just like this , and i thought of you..This is wonderful!

7:08 AM  
Blogger Icarus said...

I think that's the best account I have read of yours. I just loved it, a great, filmic narrative. I'm now wondering what's in this for Spurs. They won the English cup in 1967. And a big European cup in 1984. So, what's in the runes for 2006/7???

1:54 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

As others have said, I really liked this story. I always love your photos - you should write more stories with them!

6:01 PM  
Blogger Curly said...

I don't know much about baseball Jenny, but I know a good picture when I see one!

Curly's Photoshop

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home