<

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Smoked



I went to an art opening at the Sharon Historical Society on Sunday - absolutely lovely small works by many local artists including Joan Jardine, who curated the event, Randy Orzano and Colleen McGuire, both of whom I've mentioned here before, Jonathan Doster, who takes breathtaking landscape photos (I should only be that good!) Karen Stone and others.

I chanced to glance out the window and saw these: the little building is a smokehouse, which belonged to Ebenezer Gay, the original owner of the house that is now the SHS. It dates to the 1780's. The well is, well, a well. And the other thing is a marble dog trough, dating to the 1890's. Liz Shapiro, director of the SHS, wrote me that it "used to be on South Main Street, and was put there in memory of a deceased dog by the dog's owner, so that dogs would have a place to drink on their walks. It should actually sit lower in the ground than we have it."

7 Comments:

Blogger Ben Nakagawa said...

Wonderfull shot, Jenny.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Olivier said...

j'avoue ne pas avoir tout compris à ton post (mon anglais est vraiment lamentable, va falloir que je reprenne des cours) mais j'aime beaucoup ta photo. Si on clique sur le lien que tu mets, on tombe sur une erreur. bonne journee

I acknowledge not not to have very understood with your post (my English is really lamentable, will be necessary that I take again lessons) but I like much your photograph. If one clicks on the bond which you put, one falls on an error. good day

12:08 AM  
Blogger alice said...

I do like your photos, Jenny. You know how to catch a special light like today or an interesting posture like yesterday. It's a real pleasure to come here every day.
Do you want to come today to see my country side?

3:35 AM  
Blogger Lachezar said...

As always, I love your colours!

4:55 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Olivier, thank you. I fixed the link and it should work now!

7:31 AM  
Blogger Icarus said...

Another great vignette. I feel smoked myself, and not well, well or well. 3 wheels on my wagon, but...
Yes, it is funny to think of the poor pooches trying to reach up there!

7:55 PM  
Blogger Kala said...

this was a great landscape photo that definitely belongs to all the fine company of artists you mentioned!

3:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home