<

Monday, December 18, 2006

Fallow


When I was a kid growing up in Detroit, we'd drive to Ohio a few times a year to visit our grandparents. They lived in the small town - no more than 15,000 people - where my father had grown up. As we left the city behind, my brother and I would say - "look, there are the corn field, we must be getting close!" We thought we were being funny - as city slickers we thought we were too sophisticated to have anything to do with farms. The town I live in now is far smaller than Salem, Ohio, and I no longer find anything to mock about farmland - I have nothing but respect and appreciation for farms on so many levels - for the hard work that goes into them, for how we depend on them to sustain us, for their beauty. It will be many months before this field is sown again, and many more before that brief golden moment in high summer when the sweet yellow ears are harvested and fresh corn arrives on our tables. It will be worth the wait. (Here's what this field looked like late last spring.

8 Comments:

Blogger Olivier said...

Waouhhh. tres impressionnante cette photo.


Waouhhh. very impressive this photograph.

11:11 PM  
Blogger tr3nta said...

Nice photo... and nice words... i like that...

5:45 AM  
Blogger les maudites said...

beautifull and so realistic we love your little country

9:26 AM  
Blogger AnalĂ­a said...

Dear jen, have you seen the little green scattered over the ashes? I dind't go to see how the field looked before, but I will come to see how it gets greener again...and of course it will worth the wait.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Icarus said...

Hey, nice to find my path rossing all over the place with Analia, (besitos, querida!).
It's spot-on what you've written about the farmlands and the huge work of the farmers. It's just that my first thought when I saw the picture was post-A-bombed Hiroshima. Nothing left standing. Just an impression, forget it. The words are more valuable.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Sally said...

Lol - "a "small town of 15 000" in rural Australia is a thriving metropolis!

Gorgeous photo.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Carol E. said...

Each season has its own beauty.

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The balance of textures and colours here is fantastic !

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home