<

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Sometimes a photo just won't do


I went out the other night to hear a singer, Libby Johnson, perform at Manna Dew in Millerton. She appeared there because of this blog: the owner of her record label, Wrong Records, was looking for venues in Sharon and found me... I told him about Manna Dew (since Sharon has no venues for performing) and voila - here she is! She, and her sister Carrie, were both wonderful - they used to have a band in NYC called 22 Brides, and now each performs solo. Libby's record Annabella is lovely - you can listen at her website.

However, the light was not conducive to photography - way too dark and I didn't want to start firing a flash in her face. (You can see the one photo I took, plus another sketch, here.) So I went back to an earlier form of recording what I see - I never go anywhere without a sketchbook! Aside from the pleasure of drawing itself, sketching has always been a great way for a shy person to start conversations with strangers - I've met some very interesting people that way!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

anything you can't do artistically? wow! the sketch is great. thanks for sharing...

10:40 PM  
Blogger Olivier said...

Des dessins sont superbes, tu as tout les talents. Bravo.
Je ne connais pas cette chanteuse, merci pour le lien, je vais voir cela.


Drawings are superb, you have all the talents. Cheer. I do not know this singer, thank you for the bond, I will see that.

11:44 PM  
Blogger tut-tut said...

What a great drawing . . . I agree with Max.

7:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mile Stone is having trouble commenting - he says:

So that's it! You have yet another gift. The bushel is getting too small for all that light you are hiding, my dear.
I suppose it goes against all the principles of a DP, but I don't see why you can't use more drawings sometimes, like lots of other people do. Admiration, because if I had been in that situation (in fact, I was, last week at a book presentation in weak light), I could record nothing.I have the drawing talent of a grape. Double congratulations, as you helped to make the concert happen too.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Ben Nakagawa said...

Wow, Jenny.
You are so talented. Very nice touch on your sketch. I love it.

10:41 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

Jenny, very impressive work!

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Admirable this other skill of yours!
Beautiful sketch, tells more than a photo!

Well done!

5:47 AM  
Blogger Jing said...

ooo..so brilliant sketch!!
so admire you,Jenny
i dont know how to draw, but i like to enjoy the beautiful drawings.

:))

jing
shanghai daily photo

8:25 AM  
Blogger Paulo said...

Hi Jenny. Two birds with one stone : you let us discover your drawings (beautiful) and the great Libby's songs... Well done!

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home