<

Monday, January 08, 2007

Fallen


Years ago, before digital photography, I took a series of photos of this barn as it was beginning its long decline. The roof was sagging, the beams were buckling, and it seemed as thought it might some day collapse. I was fascinated by the sight. It has collapsed, long since, and today I went back to shoot another round. Here are a few more of the photos I took. I wonder how old it is? I also wonder why the owners leave it - will they someday rebuild? Do they like how it looks? Do they imagine that it will disappear into the earth, to be discovered hundreds of years hence by archaologists? I'm sure one of my local readers knows the story - please share!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks to me to be the old barn off 343, if not mistaken. I believe the farmer just kind of built the new facilities to the southeast out behind, and quite honestly, I don't have a clue as to why they would leave it as they have. Lazyness is a word not in a farmers mouth, so perhaps he has been taking pic's too, and just kinda watching it go as we all have....(maybe there a tax advantage---farmers can use those!)

10:26 PM  
Blogger Olivier said...

belle et beau sujet de photo.
impressionnant, j'aime vraiment beaucoup. il doit y avoir une histoire interressante avec cette maison
beautiful and beautiful subject of photograph. impressing, I like really much. there must be a history interressante with this house

2:42 AM  
Blogger Dsole said...

What a pity, to leave down this little house! when i find something like this house i ask myself the same question... why they just leave it like that? you can always sell it before that no?
madrid dailyphoto blog

4:26 AM  
Blogger tut-tut said...

Those barns are so enigmatic; there was a similar one in western Mass near where we lived. The owner lived in the accompanying house, also tumbling down. Thanks for your posts.

6:37 AM  
Blogger AnalĂ­a said...

I love the potograhy and now I'm curious about the story behind those ruins. However, though the farm may be falling...inside, if you take a good look, there might be life. Nature always take advantage of lonely places, don't you think?
Take care.

7:08 AM  
Blogger teo mocchi said...

Wonderful! It reminds me an installation by Cornelia Parker!
http://www.ac-amiens.fr/pedagogie/arts_plastiques/capes05/parker1b.jpg

7:39 AM  
Blogger Icarus said...

Looks potential for one particular almost-itinerant....If only it had central heating and running water...& an internet wire.

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home