<

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Ski jumps


Well, I went to the ski jumps, but it was not a successful day from a photography standpoint. I'm coming down with a cold or something, so didn't get out the door early enough to see more than a handful of practice jumps before the morning session ended, and had another commitment in the afternoon when the championships were going on. Besides which, while we were there my children had various crises having to do with spilled hot chocolate, lack of cash to replace said hot chocolate, cold toes, and other meltdown-causing problems. Many thanks to the guy who handed me two bucks and said, "this fell out of your purse' - how embarrassing to need such a handout (because my ATM card's magnetic strip isn't working - I'm not THAT broke!) but it did bail us out, briefly, of two temper tantrums, and gave me a few moments' freedom while they sipped so I could try a few shots.

Then came the camera troubles -including a nearly-dead battery, and inability to remember how to use the manual settings so I could get a burst of exposures and compensate the f-stop properly for the snow. More thanks to the guy from the Granby camera club who kindly tried to help on that end! My shots, few as they were, were almost all overexposed - but sort of interesting anyway.

Finally frozen toes, wailing children and that other commitment forced us to leave before the real jumps even started. Here are a few more shots including an actual jump.

7 Comments:

Blogger Michael Salone said...

I simply love the bright white effect! Makes me want a warm fireplace somewhere wearing sunglasses!

9:31 PM  
Blogger Jazzy said...

i quite like the shot and the story is very amusing Jenny =)

9:47 PM  
Blogger RUTH said...

I think this shot looks amazing....sounds like you had a bit of a rough time even with the good samaritans. Hope that cold doesn't get too bad.

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice saturation work on this photo. Very vibrant. Don't feel bad...think of how good you helped make that guy feel that he was able to help you. Sometimes we have to let people help us so that they are helped. :)

10:26 PM  
Blogger Rob Fisher said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Rob Fisher said...

Jenny, Sorry to hear that the photos were overexposed. Mine with the same settings theory, that I shared, were exposed very well. I was unable to see the "others" you posted.

If anyone is interested in learning about our club or seeing some photos taken by our members please stop by granbycameraclub.blogspot.com

Rob Fisher
President
Granby Camera Club

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy cow! What a lousy day. But a nice picture.

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home