<

Saturday, March 10, 2007

House for sale, cheap


I posted a picture of this house last summer. Back then, it still had walls. It's still for sale - someone is offering to let a buyer dismantle it and reassemble it elsewhere. I wonder if they're forbidden to just demolish it because it's historic - it belonged to one Colonel Martin Winchell, after whom the mountain atop of which it sits is named. A little searching reveals that I'm not the only person to be curious about this house - here's a neat story about it. And here is some history of the Winchell family and how it came to the town of Northeast. And just to complete our history lesson, this page has some cool old photos of the railroad that used to traverse this mountain from Millerton to Pine Plains.

4 Comments:

Blogger AnalĂ­a said...

I don't know if I would buy the house; winter cold, summer too hot. And then, what about privacy? LOL But it's a great picture, like all you take. xoxox Ani (Oh, well I could buy it and move it to Bergamo where the mist is thick. Have you seen Nikon pic?)Follow the link on my blog)
Bah bye

9:11 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

What a difference a year makes! Sad though, isn't it? I really enjoy old buildings but this one seems to be really being demolished slowly.

Thanks for the interesting post!




Pat's Photos and
Guelph Daily Photo

1:08 AM  
Blogger Felicia said...

The sign - Keep Out - on the front of the door is funny, I wonder if it is locked too!

1:44 AM  
Blogger RUTH said...

What interesting links and a great photo.

5:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home