<

Monday, April 23, 2007

A new species sighting!


Otters, originally uploaded by jahansell.

At first I thought these were beavers, which I've often seen in ponds around Sharon, though never this one. But they were too small and swift and when they dove there was no flip of a giant tail. So I conclude that they are otters MUSKRATS! Thanks, Anonymous!, which I"ve heard are around but have never seen. This pair was chasing each other around Mudge Pond (aka Silver Lake, aka Crystal Lake, right, Rick?) on Sunday morning.


Having been corrected, I did some quick research on Muskrats (with that old song - is it by Captain and Tenille? going through my head...muskrat, muskrat, candlelight, doing the town and doing it right...) ... and found, among other things, muskrat recipes. Let me know if you are interested.

7 Comments:

Blogger alice said...

A good new! I think it means the water is clean enough to allow many fishes.

6:08 AM  
Blogger Jack McCoy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:32 AM  
Blogger Jack McCoy said...

where do you find all these beautiful photographs? They are splendid.

6:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it is not a otter it is a muskrat

3:27 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Muskrats! Of course! I better look up both to make sure!

6:18 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

I think America sang "Muskrat Love" before Captain & Tennile...but I could be wrong about that. (Gee, am I showing my age?)

I always wondered what a muskrat looked like! I thought they'd be much more rat-like.

10:16 AM  
Blogger StarZ Art Corner in Second Life said...

Hello! I'm originally from Griswold, CT..the opposite corner from you! I used to go to the Bible Camp--Silver Lake/Mudge pond as a kid though! Beautiful up there..! Oh Icarus sent me here to your site..we "met" out on woophy.com -- Have a GREAT day! Star

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home