<

Friday, December 07, 2007

Town creche


creche, originally uploaded by jahansell.

There was a time that having a creche (a little nativity scene) was controversial but I've never heard any complaints about it here - we have a Christmas tree and a nativity scene, and those of us who are Jewish celebrate privately. And I have no objection to this: I have long since lost my sense of high dudgeon over this kind of thing - I used to get into big arguments like the one I had with the kid at college who said "what's the big deal about having a Christmas tree in the dining hall, Christmas is an American holiday!" The fact that I am an American and don't celebrate Christmas didn't seem to make a difference to his world view. I don't know if multiculturalism has become so generally accepted that people think it's not even necessary to make the gesture towards, say, a menorah on the green during Hanukah, or if it's just dead. Kinda like feminism - but don't get me started on that topic because we'll be here all day. (Suffice to say I despair of my daughters growing up in a world where they will always be judged harshly for being: too fat, too thin, too strong, too weak, too smart, too dumb, too nice, too mean, all at the same time. None of which has anything to do with Sharon or daily photographer, so, end of rant before I even get going.)
I will add, however, that the school teaches something about all the holidays - as I walked through today after delivering my daughter (5 minutes late so we had to get a tardy pass!) to her kindergarten class, I heard another teacher telling her students to put another candle in the menorah! I will post aHanukah picture later this week.

3 Comments:

Blogger Wayne said...

First, if you ever do get back to any of those rants, I will enjoy reading them. I agree that there seems to be a lot of dimwits in this world, when it comes to seeing that there is more to this world than just your basic 'American'. Oh well. Maybe some day. Meanwhile, it is a nice post, and I like the picture. The parent seems to have more 'wonder' in his eyes than the children. :)

12:33 AM  
Blogger Buzztree said...

I think it's very unfortunate that the town -- a political entity -- chooses to place a creche seen on the public commons. But it is a battle I choose not to fight, because it would be a lost cause, and because in our small town it would be impossible to live in the community. Nevertheless, I look forward to the day when a more enlightened view of the Constitution (the Establishment Clause) prevails, and it would not be necessary for anyone to fight city hall.

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was a time...not too many years ago...when one would drive by and see a menorah together with a creche on our Sharon Green. For me, it represented an understanding and respect between religions. And, then I began to wonder, how could we represent all religions on the Sharon Green at this time of year? And, why did the menorah "disappear"? If we stop fighting for what we believe in...will we eventually stop fighting? Nevertheless, 'tis a lovely photo, and a Happy Holiday to All!

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home