<

Friday, June 13, 2008

new mown hay


new mown hay, originally uploaded by jahansell.

It's haying season - everywhere I go I see the tractors doing their thing, and either mounds of fresh -cut hay, or newly formed bales. The funny thing is, I never notice the hay BEFORE it's cut. I finally realized last year after living here for a decade that hay just looks like - grass. Duh. So there's nothing much to notice. (I don't know if all grass is hay, or all hay is grass - I better take to Wikipedia!)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose a perfume lover would disagree, but having worked on a farm for a few years in my youth, there is no better smell than fresh-cut "hay" on a summers day( or evening)! To this day, if I see some just cut, I'll slpw down, and just breath it in.....ahhhhh! Good shot! Rick

3:57 PM  
Blogger Rachel E. Adams said...

I have a definite preference for the smell of cured out alfalfa over timothy hay. You probably looked this up already, but I wanted to be the only person commenting on hay types from Hong Kong.

Not all grass makes good hay. But you could cure out just about any grass and have hay. Remember in the Laura Ingalls books where she talks about slough hay and upland hay? Maybe that's too much of an assumption to make. Maybe not everyone just finished a read-aloud of The Long Winter.

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home